How do you deal with an underperforming team member? It is a tough, but common, situation for business owners to find themselves. Do you keep them to coach them, or do you let them go? Join Dr. Sabrina as she walks you through this process with clear actions to help you assess their potential for improvement and make the tough decision.
This topic comes from a member of our Mighty Networks community at Tap the Potential. The scenario is that a long-time team member, who has been loyal and critical to the growth of the business, is underperforming and is uncoachable. It is a frustrating position.
Let’s dive into this problematic situation with practical steps to move forward.
Profit by Design is a Tap the Potential Production.
- The cost of keeping underperforming team members, both monetary and the negative impact on your A-players
- How to identify underperforming team members with regular, one-to-one meetings with all team members
- Beginning steps to take in deciding whether or not to keep an underperforming team member:
- Identify clear expectations of performance for this team member.
- Document those expectations and communicate them to the team member.
- How to determine if an underperforming team member is coachable
- How to conduct a simple performance review with a 1-3 rating of expectations
- How to have the conversation with the team member about the performance review—and deal with the facts
- How to create a performance improvement plan for the next 4-6 weeks with clear expectations
- How to recognize that some team members may not be a long-term good fit as your business grows and more systems are put in place
- How your A-players will react in positive ways when an underperforming team member is let go
Links and Resources:
Sign up for our free workshop, Unlocking Profit Potential: The Power of A-Players and How to Attract Them for 10x Growth. It happens on Thursday, November 16; don’t miss this opportunity!
Learn more about our courses, Coach Approach and Leadership Bootcamp at www.tapthepotential.com.
Our Better Business Better Life Jumpstart can help your profitability in every way. Sign up today!
Join the Tap the Potential Community on Mighty Networks: www.tapthepotential.com/group
Let us help you and your business! Book a call with us today!
Let us help you manage your time, your most valuable resource! Get your FREE copy of the Tap the Potential Strategic Planner for 2023 at www.tapthepotential.com/planner.
Download Dr. Sabrina’s Introductory Training: How to Make Your Time Worth $10,000 an Hour