Here’s a sneak peek into my upcoming book: How To Hire the Best: The Entrepreneur’s Ultimate Guide to Attracting Top Performing Team Members (Releasing November 18, 2020)
Striking the Balance: Core Growth Strategies
Fix Flex Scheduling
How do you ensure the needs of the business, team and clients are met while allowing for flexible work scheduling? Christeen Era of Core Growth Strategies shares the solution that is working for her team:
We use a Fix Flex Schedule to suit work-life balance. Here at Core, it’s important to us that you show up for your family events, such as your kids’ ball game or dance recital. There are some A-Players who are moms who want to be there for their husbands in the evenings and their kids in the morning and nights, and still want to wear their superhero cape during the day!
Lisa DePaulis is our team success manager and our client liaison. She is a wife and mom of three. She has done Tap the Potential’s Leadership Bootcamp, Coach Approach and How To Hire The Best courses. She conducts all our team 1:1 meetings. She has been with us for over a year, after coming to us via a fellow team member’s referral in our Hire the Best™ Referral Program and continues to excel in her development and contributions to the team. If I didn’t have my Fix Flex Schedule and openness to part-time team members, I would not have Lisa. I don’t know what I would do without someone like her here at Core! She is our warm-fuzzy people person in our heavy task business.
How does Core’s Fix Flex Schedule work? Christeen shares an excerpt from her policy:
Core Growth Strategies requires employees to maintain a fixed working schedule, based on an 80/20 rule. 80% of an employee’s schedule should be fixed hours that are the same every week, and the remaining 20% can be flex time, meaning you can work the flex time during a range of other hours during the week. The flex time window needs to cover more than the 20% of your Monday through Friday time, so you have a larger window of time to make up the 20% in that day and/or week. The 20% time you “clock” cannot create more than 40 hours in a work week and must comply to federal and state law; it must not create overtime unless it is approved by your manager before the time is worked.
A 60/40 split may be an option with prior approval. Any hours worked outside of your fixed schedule will not be considered overtime unless you meet the requirements for overtime per your state labor laws. All overtime must be approved prior to working it. Part-Time employees must maintain at least 20 hours per week in total hours. Full-Time employees must maintain at least 30 hours per week in total hours. The minimum Part-Time and Full-Time hours do not supersede the number of hours agreed upon at hiring. Any changes to the fixed schedule must be approved two weeks prior to implementation.
Next week’s blog post will feature an excerpt from the book on Psychologically Healthy Workplaces. Stay Tuned!
For tips on how to work through these problems and coach your team more effectively, please be sure to check out How To Hire the Best:The Entrepreneur’s Ultimate Guide to Attracting Top Performing Team Members, releasing November 18, 2020.