Dr. Sabrina is in the hot seat in today’s episode! Her co-host, Mike Bruno, interviews her about her BIG NEWS, and that’s the upcoming release of her new book, How to Hire the Best Contractors, which will be published October 24, 2019.
As you will hear Dr. Sabrina explain, she had written the first edition of How to Hire the Best for rural business owners, but as soon as that was published, she started getting calls from entrepreneurs not in rural areas, but from large metropolitan areas all around the country.
The more she talked with these entrepreneurs, who were asking for her help, the more she began to see that hiring and attracting top-performing employees in small business wasn’t just a problem for her and her clients, who were mostly rural. It was a problem for small business owners all over the country.
Dr. Sabrina began to see a pattern among the callers who were seeking her help and discovered that most of them belonged in the same industry: construction. Once she started researching more about this, she found that out of all industries out there, construction has the greatest labor shortage.
Stay tuned to find out more about her personal “why” for writing this book, and what it has to offer you!
- Mike shares his own personal story about the struggle to find the right people.
- Dr. Sabrina shares the impact on entrepreneurs and the entrepreneurial spirit when you don’t have a good system in place for recruiting and hiring.
- Working 80-90 hours a week with no time off is not sustainable. You might be able to do it for a few years, but that’s taking a huge toll on your health.
- As a psychologist, Dr. Sabrina wants to help business owners have a better quality of life and work-life balance. It’s not that we don’t WANT a better work-life balance, we just don’t often have the SKILLS and the SYSTEMS for attracting A-player team members to our businesses. When she started writing her first book, she knew she wanted to address these issues.
- Dr. Sabrina is passionate about getting this book into the hands of the construction industry’s business owners.
- When we have the team members and systems in place, it opens up more freedom in our lives to do what we want to do, and pursue the opportunities we want to pursue.
- The price of life when you don’t have the appropriate systems and people in place.
- How the book is structured: Dr. Sabrina took what she learned from the first edition of How to Hire the Best, and as she began to teach the material, she observed what worked all of the time and what worked some of the time. In this new edition, she focused on the things that worked 90% of the time, and that were the most doable, and that get the best results. She “Pumpkin Planned” the content of the book, and took out the 20% of the first edition that got the greatest impact and put that into this current edition. Then she made it even more specific by focusing on contractors.
- Early feedback on her book was that despite it having “Contractors” in the title, it was actually a valuable book for any small business owner or entrepreneur. Dr. Sabrina thinks this is because she has front-loaded the book with her “Tap the Potential Solution™ for creating highly profitable, great places to work”.
- If you’re struggling with hiring right now, something to consider: everything you think you should be doing is most likely setting you up to mis-hire. Using traditional hiring practices, you will mis-hire 75% of the time.
- The hiring process is very frustrating for entrepreneurs who think they’re doing the right things to hire people, only to see failure over and over, because they tend to internalize that and think there’s something wrong with themselves.
- Forgive yourself for all your mis-hires, and recognize it’s not your fault.
- In the next podcast episodes, Dr. Sabrina is going to pull portions of the book and do some teaching around the Tap the Potential method for Creating a Highly Profitable Great Place to Work, which will help you position your business, in a very tight labor market, no matter the industry, to be an employer of choice, and to operate in a lean way that allows you to have that high profit built in to your business. She will also be teaching skills around hiring.
- After the book launch, Dr. Sabrina will be doing a completely updated LIVE on-line course on How to Hire the Best.
SPECIAL INVITATION FROM DR. SABRINA
If you would like to help entrepreneurs and contractors with their ability to hire the best, Dr. Sabrina invites you to be an ambassador for the book launch. She has created a Facebook group, How to Hire the Best Book Launch Ambassadors. Dr. Sabrina and the Tap the Potential team will equip you with tools to get out and spread the word about the book being available and give you tools to share with your network around hiring to help entrepreneurs that you know.
Ambassadors will have access to special training from Dr. Sabrina and get to participate in some fun contests the team is cooking up.
All ambassadors will receive a signed copy of How to Hire the Best from Dr. Sabrina.
CHECK IT OUT!
Links and Resources:
For Resources & Tools from Us – https://www.profitbydesignpodcast.com
Subscribe & Share Podcasts! – https://www.profitbydesignpodcast.com/podcasts/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProfitByDesign/
Are you building a sustainable highly profitable, great place to work?
How Close Are YOU to Taking Your 4 Week Vacation?
Find out HERE!