Almost 9 out of 10 entrepreneurs are experiencing symptoms of burnout. They think their business cannot run effectively without them and have no system for attracting A-players. Our Better Business Better Life Assessment found these results by surveying 225 entrepreneurs. Hiring, onboarding, and team development are the three main factors that affect your profitability. Let’s dive into this topic together!
Retaining A-players is an overlooked area in the business world today, and attracting and hiring them is just the beginning. Onboarding is critical to their retention, and because of this, haphazard training will not be enough. The best thing you can do for your new team members is provide engagement and build enthusiasm. Join me in this episode as I break down what it takes to create a great onboarding experience!
Profit by Design is a Tap the Potential Production in collaboration with Small Business Consulting Group.
- The facts: Only about 7 out of 10 entrepreneurs say they have a system for onboarding new team members.
- Why you should treat the onboarding process for new team members with as much care and priority as attracting new customers/clients
- Why the 12-18 onboarding process should focus on relationship-building within the team, and transition into ongoing team development
- Why team members will STAY: It all comes down to relationships!
- Why YOUR relationship with the new team member comes first: “Be INTEREST-ED, not INTEREST-ING.” (The People Map Assessment is a simple tool that can help you learn someone’s strengths, communication style, goals, and more!)
- Why you should want to be a part of that team member’s career journey, helping them to fulfill their overall life and career goals
- Why you should ask about their goals, dreams, and strengths–and align their role accordingly
- Why you should ask their opinion on what makes a great boss and how they like to be appreciated because this gives more insight into who they are
- Why it’s helpful to ask existing team members about their highs and lows during their first weeks on the job to gauge what’s working best and what is not
- Why it is important to establish clear guidelines about who the new team member is with, and later, where they can go to ask questions (Who do they go to? What if that person isn’t available? How often will they meet with you?)
- How onboarding A-players to your team DIRECTLY affects your profitability
- How a simple conversation at the end of Day One can create a great experience and help your new team member feel celebrated, successful, and appreciate
- How an end-of-day huddle can be very helpful for a new team member during the first few weeks; you can later transition to weekly one-on-one check-in meetings
- The value in setting up opportunities for your existing team to get to know the new team member
- The value in pre-establishing clear, well-defined goals for the new team member’s role, including how they can be an A-player by the end of Year One, Month One, Week One, etc.
Links and Resources:
Connect with Dr. Sabrina
Sign up for our FREE Livenar, What’s Working NOW to Hire the Best and Grow Your Team of A-Players.
Check out our new Dream Manager Program that provides personal and leadership development for your team members!
We can teach your team members new strategies to support your efforts in making your business a Great Place to Work! Find out more about Leadership Boot Camp.
Learn more about the next How to Hire the Best course.
New! Now Available!!
The 4 Week Vacation book with bonuses! Follow the steps to claim your spot for the upcoming live training, The 4 Week Vacation Better Business Better Life Jumpstart!
Download Dr. Sabrina’s Introductory Training: How to Make Your Time Worth $10,000 an Hour